Bucking the trends - a career of seeing things others cannot

 

Bucking the trends; a career of seeing things others cannot”. An interview with Michaelson Chonyera, Minet Botswana. 

Michaelson is the Managing Director at Minet Botswana Pty Ltd and a true unicorn in the business world, proudly marching to the beat of his own drum. Just like synchronized swimmers, Chonyera believes in creating magic through planning, teamwork, and diving headfirst into opportunities. A witty and unconventional interview, conducted by Khumo Badisang, Marketing Executive at Minet Botswana. 

Can you please tell us a bit about yourself, in a unique sense?
Tough one Khumo. It might seem as if I am saying that I am better than other people, having said that I believe I am different from most people. I am a Unicorn who likes to go against the conventional. I hope this does not sound pompous.
 
What are your greatest weaknesses? 
I have a short attention span. I pretty much cannot be attentive for more than 2 hours. I automatically switch off after 2 hours of anything. I have no idea how I survived school. It was the nightmare of my life all because of the long hours in class.
 
Now speaking about the business, what is your overall philosophy for success?  
I have to say going against trends is my philosophy for success. Trends manifest, trend, peak, decline, and in some instances fall into obsolescence mainly because everyone jumps into them. I find going against trends liberating and innovative and full of opportunities for business and personal growth, Bucking the trend so to speak. Believe me, there are unique results for going upstream instead of downstream.   
 
What are some examples of bucking the trend?
In my previous life as an underwriter, I introduced the average condition for motor vehicle insurance in Zimbabwe when under derision and resistance from the entire industry. Needless to say, the whole industry later followed suit. This approach saved the industry during the hyperinflation crisis in that country. I also introduced quarterly valuations for motor vehicles and pulled out of the then-senseless knock-for-knock agreement, a trend later followed up on by the industry as well.
In broking, I, unfortunately, had to fight Minet colleagues and the broking industry to stop the inappropriate practice of sharing brokerage commissions with clients. This practice was subsequently stopped by the Regulator following the Minet (previously Aon) thought leadership engagement, and this literally saved the Botswana Broking Industry.
I have many other examples which I will share with you if we ever have a next instalment of this interview.  
 
What are your favorite extra-mural activities?
Watching cricket, rugby, tennis, soccer, and golf in no particular order except cricket tops and please add synchronized swimming to that.
 
Synchronized swimming sounds very interesting. This is not so commonly loved in Africa!
Well, Khumo please stop laughing. My love for synchronized swimming has nothing to do with the tight outfits and the statuesque lady athletes. Far from that. You see the athletes have their heads and half their upper bodies upside down in the water and perform wonders in unison without seeing each other because of excellent planning and teamwork. I find there is no better demonstration of teamwork than that. Not seeing each other but knowing exactly what to do and creating team magic. In Minet Botswana, our heads are under water due to unfavorable legislation and excessive soft markets. I believe a properly prepped and planned synchronized team would create similar magic that will help us create client, colleague, and shareholder value. 
 
How do you see Minet Botswana succeeding?  
In brief, we need to buck trends by going to the blue ocean, insuring the neglected, offering differentiated products via unique distribution channels, and embracing remote commerce via Fintech solutions.
The Office of customer strategy is also another great opportunity to succeed. We have an in-house competitive ecosystem of insurance segments that can do a better job of gleaming business from each other. In this regard, we are looking at a myriad of strategies, over and above the conventional cross-selling and up-selling activities.

Comments